If you are just starting out, I recommend strength training to build a solid foundation.
Read up ectomorph bodybuilding if you have not done so yet. Strength training is about focusing on achieving sarcomere hypertrophy.
How is Strength Training Done?
In bodybuilding, strength training is conducted with few reps (5 or fewer, though I recommend 5) and constitute compound exercises such as bench presses, squats, deadlifts etc.
However, I recommended in my article “principles of muscle building” that the moderate rep range (6-12) is the optimum range for muscle building.
So why the contradiction? Read on.
Benefits of Strength Training For Ectomorph Beginners
1. Maximize your muscle growth
For ectomorphs to gain significant muscle gains, you must do compound exercises.
Compound exercises work several parts of your body and this in turn will recruit more muscle fibers. By working more muscle fibers, you maximize your muscle gains.
Furthermore, you can only blast these muscle fibers by doing heavy weights from compound exercises! Not by the light weights of simple isolation exercises.
2. Allows you to progressively overload
Strength training builds up your strength, and that is how you can progressively overload.
Only by exposing your muscles to unaccustomed stress will they grow.
3. Taxes your central nervous system
If you do not know, your muscles grow not only by being exposed to unaccustomed stress, they also grow via the effects of growth hormones and testosterone.
Strength training overloads your central nervous system, and this causes it to send signals to release more growth hormones and testosterone (anabolic hormones).
4. Creating a good foundation
As the name suggests, strength training will help you to build a good foundation by working several different parts of your body. In the future, you could do heavier weights for isolation exercises to achieve more defined muscle cuts.
5. Strength training is intense
High intensity overloads your central nervous system and forces the release of more growth hormone and testosterone.
Furthermore, an intense workout is shorter, since you will feel fatigue faster and this will help save some precious calories.
Note: Duration and intensity of a good workout routine is inversely related, meaning it should be short and intense.
If you still do not understand why I recommend strength training for beginners, it is because this form of training will help you establish a rock solid foundation in weight training.
In their cases, strength training created a rock solid platform for these two legends to push on and become two of the best bodybuilders the world has ever seen.
This is why I recommend strength training for beginners, and this training methodology underpins the beginner gym workout routine I have created on this site.
Articles in This Section (Ectomorph Bodybuilding):
- Ectomorph Bodybuilding: learn the science of the muscle growth formula for ectomorphs
- Body types: are you a true ectomorph? It is not so straightforward
- Mindsets: the mindset you need to succeed. Without this, forget about gaining any mass
- Principles & mechanisms of muscle building: if there’s only time for one article, read this
- How to be lean and ripped: you want to be attractively lean and ripped, not the skinny kind
- Muscle building FAQs: why can’t you gain weight? How to gain muscle fast? etc..
- Glossary of bodybuilding terms: do check this out if you are just starting out